One critical age-related change in people is eye vision. The structure of the human eye is predisposed to be affected as people age. The pair of windows to the world will ultimately exhibit a decline in performance. Symptoms of vision problems will randomly manifest only to be brushed aside until it is too late to correct.
In Singapore, there are surgical procedures that can promptly correct vision complications. Two popular surgical procedures can be performed to rectify vision impairment related to the aging process. Both have high success rates. However, a lesser-known third option exists:
– A cataract surgery is a procedure that involves the removal of protein clusters that formed a cloud in the lens causing diminished clarity and sharpness of images. – On the other hand, a modern refractive surgery is the Lasik surgery. This laser-assisted surgery works to reshape the cornea or layer of tissue covering the front of the eye. – Implantable Contact Lens (ICL) is the third reliable alternative. There is another option to Lasik Surgery which is also intended for vision correction. Many patients are now considering the implantable contact lens in Singapore.
What is Implantable Contact Lens (ICL)?
In an ICL procedure, the surgeon makes micro incisions near the cornea. The folded lens is carefully inserted between the iris and natural lens, and then the lens implant unfolds. Once revealed, the surgeon positions the edges of the lens behind the iris. The ICL appears invisible. Patients are prescribed eye drops for post-operative use at home.
The results of the ICL surgery will take effect within 24 hours after surgery. An ICL surgery is done at eye at a time. Since this is an outpatient procedure, the operation proper takes about 30 minutes or even less eye. The surgeon will apply anesthetic drops to numb the eyes or patients may be sedated if necessary.
One notable thing about ICL surgery is that it is a safe and effective procedure. Unknown to many, ICL has been around since 2005, and many patients have attested to having marked improvement in eyesight after surgery. Although there is a slim chance of complications or side effects, the implanted lens can be removed.
What are the benefits of the ICL?
- ICL is not restrictive A patient can perform any activity a month after surgery. Patients are not restricted to play sports and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Vision improvement The effect of an ICL on the corneal curvature is almost negligible, so therefore the quality of vision comes out better than Lasik surgery. Night vision issues like glare, etc. are negligible after ICL surgery in most people.
- Cure for nearsightedness An ICL surgery can correct a broad range of nearsightedness, from moderate to severe. Patients who do not qualify for Lasik surgery because of high myopia usually take the ICL option,
- Speedy Recovery A patient will resume activities in about a week or two after ICL surgery.
- No more dry eyes When an ICL is implanted, the eyes become less predisposed to dryness.
Where do you go to get implantable contact lens in Singapore?
A certified ophthalmologist can be consulted about the implantable contact lens in Singapore. There are some reliable and established eye centers around. It is in these eye centers where eye screening tests and examinations can be conducted to determine the suitable procedure. Just like Laser surgery, there are pre-conditions before one is allowed to have an ICL surgery. Only individuals who are 21 to 40 years of age are qualified provided they have no severe case of nearsightedness.
In conclusion, everyone wants to maintain normal vision throughout their lives. However, wearing eyeglasses and contact lenses become inevitable by the time a person reaches 40. By that time too, eye surgery may be the only option to correct vision impairment. People should realize that importance of eye care and regular eye examination. Taking a precautionary measure is vital because going for eye surgery is always a life changing decision.